Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Day Away (Holiday in my Head)

Born with concrete wings clipped,
Taught only the language of leaving,
Is there anything left to hold, I wonder, and
Whose air am I breathing?

Sometimes I want to burn things just to feel the fire
And they say it’s a phase the way the shadows fall
Take the pills and we’ll pretend we listen
Your dreams are too obscene to be believed, just dismiss them

Hello, I’m still alive
And so unsatisfied
There’s a brokenness, I know you know
We love, we laugh, we live a lie
And act like we’re alright
We surely can’t stay, but there’s no good way to go

Sometimes I wonder if we, ourselves, are the antithesis
But sometimes I play by the rules I’ve been given
Read the script and forget that its just this:
Your politics are counterfeit and I worry about what I’ve missed

Goodbye, I’m still a lie
And so dissatisfied
There’s a callousness here on my own
We beg, we borrow, we bid, we bite
And act just like we might
Play for another day, but I’m nowhere near okay alone

The swirling lights, the sounds and sights
All around tonight, distractions we can’t fight
Entertain us till we bleed you profit
You are the king we’ve appointed
The idol we’ve daily anointed
The only despot we’ve got, and we won’t stop it

Well, good try
Could I be satisfied
With a world more real, or is that too bold
We hide, we hate, we hold on tight
A good sense of wrong and right
In burning plain sensibility that still leaves me cold

Hello, goodbye
I am a possum on the side of the road
And I’m not playing anymore

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers

About Me

My photo
Songwriter, Poet, Heretic