Saturday, September 3, 2011

For the First Time (A Year Ago)

They have this breakfast
In a place of tradition
A place of my past
They try to entice you
To fit into a box
And I knew the boxes that would call to me
How'd they all say they knew me
Or my parents
Remembering a childhood I knew didn't exist
But still smiled uneasily
Shaking hands with shaking hands
Looking for some place to sit

I found a place to munch on bits of fruit
Nervous ticks and wary glances
As I sat, steadily silent in the temple of former refuge
It became internal torture
Breath racing, heart cacophonous
And there you sat, somehow beside me
Serene and smiling

You knew what hid behind the curtains
You, like I, had seen the charade
But we wore our robes and scars differently
Though as you spoke, it was clear
We had more in common
Than I, at first,
Could tell

Crumbling stone, a lone heretic
In the halls of the heralded holy
Their judging eyes and condescension
Circled around me
A calf among the golden pride
Their smiles sharpened for the occasion

So when the speaker got up
To offer positions within the status-quo
You must have noticed that strange fear
From the corner of my eye to yours
And beneath the white, plastic tablecloth,
So only we would know,
You held my hand
Silent, unassuming
And everything I
Needed to know
I was not alone



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers

About Me

My photo
Songwriter, Poet, Heretic