Tuesday, June 14, 2011

To Dig a Moat

Tried to dig a moat around a sandcastle
Thought I could do it well
Dug the trenches in deep and a path for the water
As the tide came and the sun fell
But then it started to rain, the walls caved, and my mind changed
I knew my castle wasn’t gonna make it through the night
So I tried to dig faster to somehow suspend disaster
But I couldn’t fix my oversight

Tried to build a high and mighty fortress out of glass
That would let you could see inside
Know all my little secrets with such clarity
But strong enough I could still run in and hide
Built the towers tall so I could be seen by all
But the dungeons I made out of stone
While I gave up freedom for security, I also gave up honesty
The safer I was, the more I was alone

Tried to write a song for the world to hear
That would tell them somethin’ true
Somethin’ honest, somethin’ thoughtful, somethin’ catchy
But I really didn’t have any kind of clue
So I listened to the greats as the critics debated
And I hated everything I wrote down
Then my life it took a twist and I had to deal with it
Like some kinda cathartic creativity in sound

1 comment:

  1. I really like the second paragraph (verse? chorus? it's hard to know without hearing it!...which I hope I get to some day!)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers

About Me

My photo
Songwriter, Poet, Heretic