Friday, June 10, 2011

Rewrite

The colors of the leaves had changed and faded from the sky
As night set in, this autumn wasteland of perfection in my youth
I still remember hearing your voice from the other side
And I still remember convincing myself of these bitter half-truths

Had I known back then what I know now
Maybe something good would have worked out
Had I not said then what I wish I could take back
Maybe I wouldn’t be sittin’ here trying to rewrite the past

The summer sun beat heavy on our ending, in a way recommending
What once seemed so hopeful had become your newest waste of time
Yet you never caught a glimpse of your castle walls descending
As every word laid siege to your perfect dream, still pretending you were mine

Had I not played games with both our hearts
Maybe we wouldn’t have to restart
Had I known back then a way to make this right
Maybe I wouldn’t be wishin’ on what-ifs and rewrites tonight

Catapults and cascades of desperate pleas
Accompanied by tears that neither of us needs
Anticipation built and then it all collapsed
I wish that I could take my heart back

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers

About Me

My photo
Songwriter, Poet, Heretic