Wednesday, May 11, 2011

...about that...

Who are you and where have you been hiding and why?
Behind all these personas you claimed with such close association
Did you ever imagine that maybe I've been waiting for you?
I've been running around, killing myself since the day I was born,
All to find you somewhere in the midst of this mess,
And then only to realize, upon discovering you
that
1) it was really you who discovered me
and
2) you really aren't much after all

I mean, I suspected you to be
More question than answer
A handful of uncertainties
For every one certainty
Instability over stability
An hour glass, perhaps,
Over a clock...

But this...
What are you?
What is there of you?
Of substance?
Of roots?

You're a very malnourished idea of a thing, aren't you?
Hollow and bony and sickly and stretching
Your giant eyes staring up as if I
(and of course I mean "we")
Have something of worth to offer you

But after all this time, honestly
I'm sorry but we've collected a lot
Though very little of it useful for you

I guess just take these open roads and
I don't know
Maybe don't make our mistakes
Become something apart from us

And if you must follow this legacy
If you must fall into this cave as well
Remember the shadows on the wall
Are mere images
And perhaps only shadows of puppets
And those who pull the strings are lonely too
And regret is our problem, not yours

I'm sorry we've starved you
I'm sorry I've starved you
Who are you, again?

Oh yeah...

woops...

...about that...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers

About Me

My photo
Songwriter, Poet, Heretic