Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Syren and the Serpent's Song

A pretty smile shows off the faintest of fangs
As I catch you making eyes at some other stupid guys
In sequence I see their expectations rise
Onto the next kill while the thrill from the last one still hangs

On the tips of your teeth or on the ledge of your lip
On the crust of your lust they feel the flavor they felled
Your shell’s hot as hell, but you need serious help
‘Cause your cliff’s about to crumble and you’re losing your grip

Wish I could say I look back fondly on our staring contest
We told each other we were both so great
But really I was just another one you’d teach how to hate
A narrow escape, with these pathetic poetics I now heavy-heartedly confess

Thought I could trust you, thought I knew how to deal
But the evidence is faulty and I think you might be crazy
I was emotionally disturbed and maybe gotta a little lazy
But now I see your eyes are liars and your words aren’t real

Forgive me if a bit of bitterness shows through
A product of my thinly veiled cynicism
I think maybe in being cut by your perfect prism
I didn’t see the way this life was beginning to shatter you too

For all those lives you take so you don’t feel dead
I’m just another brittle boy who was caught unaware
But I guess we’re both to blame, standing alone somewhere out there
And some things have gone on for far too long unsaid

A pretty smile conceals the traces of tracks that tears take
As I catch you looking away in a way that I’d miss with a blink
Do the lies of labels make us who we are, expectations, rethink
Maybe we play our parts and break these hearts for fear’s sake

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers

About Me

My photo
Songwriter, Poet, Heretic