Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Fire There Was

A fire there was
And is, I suppose
Still
Yet distance, the distance
Between, in darkness
The forest flight
Leads me away
From further light
And farther flights
I cannot fight
Anymore
For the fire's warmth
Was never mine
Though playful sparks
In the trusting dark
Did fly up alighting upon the trees
And light a place, my weary heart
To hope to help
And feed the flame
And burn away my older name
A convict's how
A wolven howl
The moon still hidden
Behind creeping clouds
My head hangs down
Cold off and alone
Far from the fire
I once had known
And loved so
And now wish
Who knows what
Perhaps the ashes I kept
In a pocket, secret, secure
Will keep me warm
Till someday
Perhaps I'll return
To the fire that was
And is, I suppose
Still
Though driven away
To the dark I may be
Cold off and alone
Far from the fire
I once had known
And loved so
Its warmth another home
Had I would feed it still
Though I wish
Not to kill its kindling
With overt indulgence
But in the cold and snow
How now I do miss it so...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers

About Me

My photo
Songwriter, Poet, Heretic