Friday, January 1, 2010

The Root of It (Post-Modern Parenting)

Call it what you want, you can call it tough love
But if this is love, then from this day forth I’ve had enough
Now you’re telling me that this is all about what I did
While you were the one who was straight up lyin’ to your kid
So why exactly am I the one in trouble
When all I did was listen to what you said then at most start to mumble
“Well, actually...” so why are you smackin’ me
Talkin’ ‘bout how I have no right to be
Explaining to my cousin what’s going on in reality
See, just ‘cause I’m eight and just ‘cause she’s six
Doesn’t mean that either one of us can’t handle this
You say there’s no way that we’re ready for the truth
And your eyes imply you have a strong belief in the ignorance of youth
And perhaps it’s because you have our own best interests at heart
Or maybe your parents did the same to you and that’s how it got its start
But if you’re gonna spout proverbs right and left about honesty
Then I think we need to find a less, say, hypocritical policy
Because let me tell you, it’s these kinda harsh facts
That will grow inside young minds and can never be taken back
So, sure, where you’re coming from is very easy to see
But if we don’t find out from you then we’ll just find out from society
So tell us please, as we’re standing here in the lobby
After watching a film where we think we saw a dog beat
Does messed up junk still happen in the world
Or is everything utopian for us little boys and girls
You stutter for a second and then you raise up a hand
Almost like you’re asking a question, only to hit mine down again
And I suppose as I grow old someday maybe I’ll understand
But right now, I’m on a riot, and not even those I trust will meet my demands
Is there good and is there evil? Now we’re digging at the root of it
Just because we are so young, please don’t deny us now the truth of it

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers

About Me

My photo
Songwriter, Poet, Heretic