Friday, January 17, 2014

The Weather Channel

Person A is hiking through the woods, and about five miles in the clouds roll in, thunder claps, and it just starts pouring down, like wall of blinding water right outta nowhere. The weather report that morning said nothing about rain, and the canopy above does next to nothing to prevent Person A from getting drenched. Thankfully, Person A remembers that there's a cave about a mile and a half back just off the side of the trail. Through the pounding rain and the ever more slippery ground, our hiker finally makes it that mile and a half to find a mostly dry respite inside the small inlet of rock.
Now, while Person A is attempting to catch some breath and wait out the storm, Person B happens to stroll by in full rain gear underneath a huge umbrella. Not a single drop of water has come anywhere near Person B, save the bottom of those top of the line designer multi-terrain boots.

"Hey!" yells Person B through the storm. "Get out of the cave."
"I'm only staying in here to keep dry," says Person A, "I'll leave as soon as the rain stops and be on my way."

"No way," says Person B. "I was prepared. I have all the gear and the coat and the umbrella. It's my cave. I deserve to get the cave because I only came out in the rain once I made sure none of it would get on me. You don't deserve to be dry because you weren't prepared and got soaking wet."

"Well," says Person A, "I'm only soaking wet because I didn't know it was going to rain today, but as soon as it started I got to the cave as fast as I could. I worked really hard to get here and now I'm almost all dry. Besides, if you'd like to come in, there's room for you too."

"You don't get it," says Person B. "Why should I suffer and have to share that cave with you when I was prepared? You might get me wet if I go stand in there next to you. Only dry people deserve to hide from the rain in the cave."

Later that day, the body of Person B was found at the top of the hill after a giant umbrella, now missing from the scene, was struck by lightning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers

About Me

My photo
Songwriter, Poet, Heretic