Saturday, March 17, 2012

#slogan

i think my generation’s broken

perhaps, our spokesman’s too outspoken

we replaced our lungs to fight infection

we replaced our tongues with the comments section

i think my intellect has faded

think i knew so much more before i was jaded

if your suit and collar come with a matching prison cell

where’s the foreclosure sign on this cookie cutter hell


they told me to get a degree

they said that i could be anyone that i wanted to be

they said if i stayed in school, i wouldn’t have to work for free,

but now even they won’t hire me

they told me to get in line

they said there’s something at the end that will be worth my time

they said if i want to be happy, just remove my mind

you can just drop that at the door, i’m sure that you’ll be fine


but we’re looking for something that you can’t erase

looking for something you can’t throw away

looking for more than minimum wage

looking for a life, more than just to get paid

we’re looking for a promise that somebody might keep

to look in the mirror and be proud of what we see

we’re looking for a change in which we could believe

not just a slogan that we know is only short-term relief


you gave me opportunity

you gave me choices

i could go your way and forever be

shackled and voiceless

or i could walk a lonely road like a pariah

which way i’ll go i don’t quite know but my desire is to run, run, run, run, run

...and wouldn’t that be fun

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers

About Me

My photo
Songwriter, Poet, Heretic