Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Like a Friend

I would like a friend
Not some puppeteer with twitching fingers
Ready to own me, lock me in a cupboard only to take me out to polish me
Or to show me off at parties
So I can do tricks for their real friends

No, I would like a friend
Not some Halley's Comet acquaintance
Who imagines I won't change with time
While they tell tales of the galactic dust they've gathered
The condescension of a busy life that they stooped down from
To pat my wide-eyed wonderment on its adoring little head
Before their next epic adventure

No, I would like a friend
Not some vague conception of tumultuous emotion
Or empty personality behind theatrical masks that always
Seem to bring more tragedy than comedy
For behind every smile a question of worth
The applause never enough to counteract the feeling
That I juggle not one but several personalities
And to ever drop a single dagger is to stab a million hearts

No, I would like a friend
Not some doctor for my weary wounds
To prescribe the just right medication
To bandage my bruises and set my bones
To solve my case then send me home
Nor a dentist to tell me the just right technique
Then on every visit chastise me for using it poorly
Though I do appreciate the care I suppose
A project or a patient, I am not

No, I would like a friend
Whose nothing like the friends I've been
Not assuming what is best for others
Not jumping in with quick advice
Not desperately vying to be the most intelligent in the room
Not disappearing when others aren't the right kind of friend
Not listening out of guilt and fear
Or being there out of debt or insecurity
Not weighing convenience over hope

No, I would like a friend
Who, to be honest,
Is nothing like me
Who I don't deserve
Who I don't understand
Who I don't have

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers

About Me

My photo
Songwriter, Poet, Heretic